THIS RIDE IS FOR YOU!
SUNDAY, MAY 19, 2019 9AM-11AM
Elliot’s Ride for Everyone is an invitation to EVERYONE, of every age and every level of bicycle experience, to come out and ride and experience the joy of biking along the picturesque ocean coastline while celebrating the importance of safe road sharing.
This year Elliot’s Ride for Everyone has a new route and new location – including the first ever closure of a section of Ocean Avenue for bicycles and pedestrians – Mark your calendars! May 19th 9-11am is Elliot’s Ride for EVERYONE. Happiness!
The ride start will be based at Rogers High School where there is plenty of parking, refreshment, and bathroom facilities. Newport Police will guide people across the street to the start of the car-free route – which continues south the length of Hazard Road, through the Goose Neck Salt Marsh to Ocean Avenue. The closure to traffic will span Ocean Avenue from Carroll to Harrison.
Note to area residents: Should you need access, there will be police escort available. Please alert the Newport Police or an Event Marshal and accommodation will be made.
- Ride on the right side of the median at all times.
- Walk on the far right side of the road or on the grass.
- Travel slowly and be cognizant of children and pedestrians
- Obey all instructions from Police Officers and Volunteer Marshals
- There may be police-escorted vehicles – when this happens, please pull over and let them pass
- The roads will open to vehicles at 11am – be sure that any riders who are not prepare to ride with cars have left Ocean Avenue by that time.
- Have a great time!
This event shines a spotlight on the fact that the roads belong to everyone and that everyone has a role to play in ensuring safe road sharing.
– Gabrielle Abbate, Chief of Highway Safety Programs, RI Department of Transportation
Meet the Artist
Tristan Morris is a fifth grader at Thompson Middle School in Newport and a rock-star bike-happy artist. Tristan drew an energetic and awesome picture for Bike Newport – with people on bicycles flying through the air and over a train with crazy happy and sometimes terrified expressions. Tristan’s drawing was the inspiration for the Elliot’s Ride graphic created by Newport graphic designer, Steve Sabo. We asked Tristan about those three flying bicylists, and he told us: “They’re thinking ‘WHOAH!! I’m flying so high!!’, ‘WHOAH!! I’m going to win this!!”’ and ‘WHOAH!! They’re gaining on me!!”
Whoah, Tristan – you are amazing – thanks for sharing your art with us!